#Finnterns: Goodbye, Taija!





It's that time again that we must say goodbye to our intern. Taija has played a major role in helping our team prepare for the Finnish Crazy Games. She always brought a smile to the office even on the busiest of days.

Besides contributing to projects as part of the political and commercial team, Taija had the chance to conduct a live radio interview, fast-talk new phone messages in three languages, tame wild hobby horses and enjoy a Mexican fiesta as the Finnish representative.

As for all our interns, it is only appropriate to ask Taija a few final questions to learn more about her, what she has learnt about Australia and her experience with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We will miss you Taija!



1. Let us begin with three things about yourself, but only two can be true.

I used to play the tuba when I was young. 

I and the Norwegian Embassy intern won 56 kg in beer at the wife carrying competition last weekend.
We still need to finish that beer. 

2. Before applying for this internship what did you know about Australia?


My knowledge of Australia was obviously much narrower than it is now after living here for a while, in some cases my presumptions were close to the reality whereas others were not.


In my imagination Australia’s landscape was either a dry desert or a beach full of tourists and surfers, winter was much warmer than it actually is, there were dangerous animals and kangaroos everywhere and people were extremely chilled and friendly. 


Well, at least in where I live, the kangaroos are all over the place and people are indeed easy-going and helpful.




3. What were your responsibilities at the Embassy of Finland in Canberra?


My responsibilities have included for example arranging a hobby horse competition for over thousand girl scouts, writing political reports, attending meetings at the EU delegation, writing blog posts, taking over our Instagram page and helping organise the Finnish Crazy Games here in Canberra. 


I’ve also eaten almost too many burritos at the Mexican Independence party and giving a live interview for the local radio station. And this is just to name a few! 


4. With just over three months in Australia, how was this country surprised you?


The little things that are different from Finland have surprised me the most. I’ve noticed that people here drive a lot, the most dangerous animal isn’t actually a spider or a snake but a magpie and Australia is actually a lot bigger than I first thought. 


Being huge, maybe one of the most pleasant surprises has been the variety of nature here. Which I can’t wait to explore after finishing my internship! 





5. You must have many memories, but tell me, what will you remember most?


I can’t tell you just one, so I will tell you a few: arriving with the warmest welcome of both the intern community and the embassy staff, eating a lot of cake at our #CakeEmbassy, travelling to Blue Mountains, Sydney, Melbourne and Jervis bay with friends and seeing a lot of cool animals wombat being my favourite. The memories blend into one beautiful whole in my head so I guess that can count as one.


6. During your time in Australia, what have you missed from Finland?

What I miss the most is definitely my family and friends. Second must be a functional public transport. However, I must admit that I also miss pulled oats, “nyhtis” and pre-cooked fava bean mince “härkis”! 





7. How has this internship helped you prepare for future roles?


At the Embassy of Finland in Australia, the interns are given a lot of responsibility and a lot of independence. I have learnt to manage my tasks and to challenge myself to do things that I might have been afraid of at first. 


I believe the best way to learn is to go outside of your comfort zone with the support of others and that is exactly what I’ve gotten the chance to do during my internship.


8. What advice would you give to other Finnish students considering an internship with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?


Don’t try to fit in a role you might think people applying for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should be because there isn’t one. Ministry of Foreign Affairs is full of diverse and unique people all of whom have their own strengths and that is what creates a great team. Cherish your own personality and let it stand out! Based on my experience I definitely recommend the internship at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs so if you feel like you should try it, apply.


Author: Jonathon Fogarty is the Information Officer at the Embassy of Finland in Canberra


P.S. Taija has never played the tuba but still has some unfinished beer left for her last weekend in Canberra.




Comments

  1. I'm flawed to reveal this page. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    Toon Cup 2017game onlinr free 3D Pixels for boys online game Rapunzel Fashionista Busy Day for girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts