#Finnterns: Goodbye, Katja!



As we bid farewell to the Tim-Tam loving Katja, we thought it was time for an interview to find out about what she thought about her time Australia, at the Embassy and why others Finns should follow her by taking on an internship with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Katja joined our team at a busy time just weeks before our Finnish Crazy Games event, but without hesitation, she jumped right on in and was incredibly helpful as we planned for the big day. She has since been heavily involved with Smart Cities week which brought expert speakers in this space from across the Nordic countries. as well as, countless tasks and activities in support Team Finland here down under.

1. Let us begin with three things about yourself, but only two can be true.
  • My favourite movie is Lego Batman, and I have watched it more than 5 times during my time here in Canberra. 
  • I have never seen a bear in real life.
  • I eat Kiwis with skin.
2. Before applying for this internship, what did you know about Australia?

My vast knowledge about Australia was based on facts learned from “Adventures of Blinky Bill”, so of course they were all accurate and relevant. I was warned about the amount of small talk I will encounter here, and of course, I was told to avoid drop bears at all costs. Luckily, I managed to escape from the latter.

3. What were your responsibilities at the Embassy of Finland in Canberra?

My responsibilities included lots of writing: political reports, blog posts, translations, minutes, social media posts… I also helped with arranging and attending multiple events, biggest being Girl Scout Jamboree, Finnish Crazy Games, and Nordic Smart Cities week. Every day has been unique, and I had no idea beforehand how versatile my internship would actually be!

Hiking in the Blue Mountains

4. With just over three months in Australia, how has this country surprised you?

I am mostly surprised by the number of Uber receipts in my e-mail, as it is quite difficult to get around Canberra without a car. The distances seemed a lot shorter on Google Maps!

Other things that surprised me was how addictive Tim Tams are. My flatmates’ and I embraced a daily diet consisting mostly of Tim Tams, and it is always the first thing we add to the shopping list. I am already worried about how I will manage without them back in Finland!

5. You must have many memories, but tell me, what will you remember most?

The overall experience has been unforgettable, but I have a few memories that stand out:

Singing Finnish national anthem at 6 am for a live radio interview (and afterwards being told by my roommates how awful my "way too in the morning voice" was…).

The feeling after climbing around 37 million stairs during 4-hour hike in Blue Mountains. Beforehand our group of happy little hikers were told it would be just like a 30 minute long stroll in a park and I at least was not mentally or physically prepared for such a challenge.

Seeing a possum for the first time. Everyone said possums are everywhere: in the streets, in the trees and especially in the gardens eating everything people try to grow. It took me three months to see one! I even went for a night stroll couple of times just to spot a possum, but I had no luck. I got obsessed with seeing one, and I finally succeeded on a weekend trip to Mount Kosciuszko on my last week in Canberra. I was more excited than the time I first spotted kangaroos.

Last but definitely not least: every single person whom I have met here and who had made this experience as amazing and unforgettable as it was. 3 months were over far too quickly!


6. During your time in Australia, what have you missed from Finland?

Family, friends and salmiakki. I would pick salmiakki over any other treat any day. Even Tim Tams lose the battle, and that is something.

7. How has this internship helped you for future roles?

Internship has showed me what it would be to work in a challenging and constantly changing environment and that it is not as scary as I thought beforehand. Interns at our Embassy are so much more than just coffee makers: We get many responsibilities and we are part of the staff during our time here. I have learned so much about myself and what I want from the future.

Katja now holidaying in Vanuatu 

8. What advice would you give to other Finnish students considering an internship with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

For me, the past three months have been one of the greatest experiences I have ever had! Working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been much more than I thought it would be, and I warmly recommend applying for internships. Work can be hectic and challenging, but that is what makes it a great learning experience. Go for it!

Ps. Katja has seen bears in the wild, as she grew up in the middle of nowhere. Katja's flatmates were baffled by the amount of times they were forced to watch Lego Batman, and how Katja eats her kiwis. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts